Spanish Steps, the stairway of Trinita dei Monti, one of the most famous squares of Rome. It owes its name to the palace of Spain, Embassy of the Holy See was Iberian.
At the center of the square is the famous Fountain of Four Rivers, which dates from the early Baroque, Bernini and his son, the most famous Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
Right corner of the stairs there is the home of English poet John Keats lived and died in 1821, now converted into a museum dedicated to his memory and that of his friend Percy Bysshe Shelley, full of books and memorabilia of English Romanticism . The left corner there is, however, Babington's tearoom founded in 1893.
The side of Via Frattina is the Palazzo di Propaganda Fide, owned by the Holy See.
The Column of the Immaculate Conception
The Column of the Immaculate Conception is located right next to the Spanish Steps, Piazza Mignanelli in the adjacent, opposite the Spanish Embassy in Rome and next to the Palace of the Propaganda Fide.
It was built by architect Luigi Poletti and inaugurated in 1857, the 8th of December, thanks to the work of 220 Fire Department.
The work is dedicated to the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, proclaimed in 1854 by Pope Pius IX, according to which the Madonna is the only human being born free of original sin.
The origin of the Roman column, it was found in the excavations of nel1778 Campus Martius.
The structure is composed of marble base, which lies on the column in marble chives, about 12 meters high, which supports the bronze statue of the Virgin Mary by Giuseppe Obici. Still others find space on the base 4 bronze statues, depicting Moses, David, Isaiah and Ezekiel. The statue of Moses is the work of Ignatius Jacometti, that of David Adam Tadolini, Ezekiel Carlo Chelli and finally that of Isaiah Salvatore Revelli.
Each year the festivities are celebrated on December 8 Immaculate Conception, and a team of Fire Department is working with a crane gift of a garland of flowers, the presence of the Pope blessing the statue and all those present.
The Fountain of Four Rivers
The Fountain of Four Rivers is one of the most famous fountains of Rome, and is located in Piazza di Spagna at the foot of the stairway of Trinita dei Monti. Made daPietro and Gian Lorenzo Bernininel 1627 on behalf of Pope Urban VIII, owes its name to the characteristic shape of a boat sinking.
It was probably inspired by a boat that ran aground in the same place where today we find the fountain, because of flooding and the consequent flooding of the Tiber in 1598.
It 'worth noting that the Fountain is located slightly below street level, as if it were semi-submerged, to compensate for the low water pressure that has to feed.
The work presents numerous decorations and badges (the sun, bees) of the family of the Pope who has commissioned the Barberini family.
The Fountain is constantly invaded by tourists, who stay happy to be photographed or even just to quench their thirst with the water that flows from the bow and stern of the Four Rivers.
Built in 1723-25 ??by Pope Benedict XIII, designed by Francesco De Sanctis, the Spanish Steps was inaugurated under Pope Innocent XIII and is one of the landmarks of Rome. The purpose of the imposing staircase of travertine was to link the Bourbon Spanish Embassy to the Church of Trinita dei Monti, above the square.
Initially, in fact, the two areas, despite the tree-lined paths, were completely disconnected due to the strong gradient.
The staircase, 135 steps and 12 ramps, is composed of three parts and also includes various parking zones. In fact, the architect's intentions, the scale was intended not only to the passage of people but also as a meeting place. To this end, the terraces were built that are still crowded with tourists and inhabitants of Rome.
The original project also included the long rows of trees on either side, interspersed with sculptures and ornaments but have never been made.
In spring-summer period of the staircase is decorated with flowers and in the same period is also home to a major fashion show.
The staircase in 2005 has been the subject of a deep restoration.
Trinita dei Monti
Trinita dei Monti is one of the most beautiful and most important churches in Rome. It is located in Campo Marzio, overlooking the Spanish Steps.
The church began in 1502 and designed by Carlo Maderno, at the behest of King Louis XII of France and ended in 1519. The consecration by Pope Sixtus V, dates back to 1585. The pope gave the same task to the architect Domenico Fontana to build a road linking the Trinita dei Monti church of Santa Maria Maggiore, the Strada Felice. The consequent lowering of the street level was solved by the same architect with the creation in 1587 of two converging stairways.
The front side with two symmetrical towers in Gothic (1584) is the work of Carlo Maderno and of James I took witness Of the French influence of that period.
The interior consists of a single large nave with side chapels, and is divided into two parts by a fence.
Immediately before the church, Pope Pius VI in 1789 took place the obeliscoSallustiano, which separates the church of the Trinita di Monti from the Spanish Steps.